Built on a small hill, once the sea, dominates the surrounding plain and the Arnóia river to the east. Result of various architectural interventions over the centuries, integrates the entire village, which preserves its medieval caraterístas. A National Monument in 2007 was elected as one of the Seven Wonders of Portugal.
The castle is located at an elevation of 79 meters above sea level, with plant in irregular rectangular shape (organic), mixing elements of Romanesque, Gothic, Baroque and Manueline spread over two main areas: the Castelejo (current Inn Castle, or Pousada de Obidos) and the in-house neighborhood.
Access is by four doors and two wickets, especially the Village Gate or Gate of Our Lady of Mercy, topped by an inscription placed there by King D. João IV (1640-1656), which reads: The Virgin Our Lady was conceived without original sin. Inside there is a chapel with balcony, lined with eighteenth-century tiles.
Also noteworthy are:
The village pillory, built in granite. Presents on one side the shield with the royal arms and the other the shrimping of Leonor, that this queen donated to network storage in village where the fishermen brought him his dead son in a hunting accident. In it, in the past, crime and criminals were exposed and punished.
The aqueduct of the village, with a length of 3 km, linking the mountain of Usseira and Obidos. Built by Queen Catherine of Austria, wife of John III (1521-1557) carried the water that supplied the fountains of Obidos.
The Cruise of Memory, built in commemoration of making Obidos from the Moors by D. Afonso Henriques, marks the place where it will set up camp before conquering the village.
Inside the wall invite cafes, bars and restaurants visitors to enjoy the atmosphere of typical Portuguese houses of the medieval. Gastronomic and cultural specialties are offered in the shops you'll find in the village.